Junior Development Program
2017 TAUPO MTB CLUB JUNIOR DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM
Taupo MTB Club's objective is to help our kids better themselves as both bike riders and athletes and help them work towards achieving goals that they set in mountain biking.
Building on the success of our first two years running the Junior Development Program we will again offer the opportunity for riders in the 12 - 16 age group to join our Development Squad. There will be a limited number of riders selected.
The Development Squad will focus on skill development, ability and confidence on the bike, and building and enhancing race experience and strategy. Some travel will be required in order to broaden the squads skill set. Travel will also be necessary to compete in events. We will need the parents of riders to be supportive and help with training and travelling to events.
The Development Program is planned around race events set for the 2017 year. We will have skills sessions in between race events and endeavour to tailor squad training to target upcoming events. Our ultimate goal is to give riders the skills and ability to compete at a national level.
To achieve at this level requires a passion and commitment to the sport, a strong desire to race, strong technical skills and a high level of fitness...ideally you will be race ready. We will cater to a small number of riders that show a passion for the sport and have the potential to develop their skills and improve their fitness and aspire to race.
- Taupo MTB Summer Series Long Course – 8 races commencing 2nd February 2017
- Taupo MTB Club Champs – 9th April
- Craters Classic (Taupo – Mid Course) 11th June
- Nduro Mid Winter Series (Rotorua - 3 races usually held 1st weekend of July, August and September)
- The Gambler (Taupo – Team Event) 17th September
- There are a number of other events throughout the year that the Squad are encouraged to compete in - riders will be informed of these if they are selected
- Squad members are expected to:
- attend all skills sessions and have a high level of attendance to planned team rides;
- attend and finish all races within reason, i.e. except for crashes or illness;
- work on improving their skills and level of fitness over the season;
- conduct themselves in a professional manner on and off the bike, before, during and after events. Bad sportsmanship, language or behaviour will not be tolerated; and
- support younger riders in the Club by helping out at junior coaching sessions and marshalling where required.
Taupo MTB Club will provide the following:
- Training sessions, advice and mentoring;
- Taupo MTB Race Kit to be worn at all races on the Development Program calendar (Note: The Kit is the property of the Club and is to be returned at the end of the season);
- Squad members will receive complimentary entry to Taupo MTB Club run events; and
- Squad members will receive subsidised entry to some key race events.
Please note to be eligible for the Junior Development Squad a rider must:
- be a current paid up member of the Taupo Mountain Bike Club;
- reside fulltime in Taupo;
- follow the set selection process and attendance requirements for selection; and
- have mountain biking as their primary sport.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
If you are interested in applying for the 2017 Junior MTB Development Program please complete the application form attached. Applications must be completed and emailed to Paula Pietersma at email@example.com by Monday 30th January 2017 (hand written applications, scanned and then emailed back is fine, or typed and emailed back).
Applicants will be required to:
- Race in the Taupo MTB Club Summer Series Pack & Pedal Long Course commencing Thursday 2nd February 2017 for the selectors to assess your riding ability & attitude. Summer Series entries are open now - you can enter online or at the Pack and Pedal Shop; and
- Attend 2 skills sessions to be held in February and March 2017 (dates to be advised).
Final squad selections will be made prior to the Taupo MTB Club Champs.
Riders selected for the Development Squad will be required to pay a joining fee of $90 to contribute toward coaching initiatives.
Please note: Selection criteria is not all about being the fastest rider - attitude, passion & commitment to the squad will be a major factor in your selection, as well as having the ability to listen & learn. This is what the selectors will be looking for.
Any questions please contact:
Paula Pietersma 027 272 8636 or firstname.lastname@example.org