The Gambler 2020
Entries open now!
The Gambler is a unique event offering a fun, challenging race with a point of difference being the introduction of a strategic element.
Riders have 4 hours to accumulate as many points as possible by completing a choice of 4 different trail loops in the order of their choosing – with each loop worth different points according to their length and difficulty (Grade 2 – 4 trails). Therefore riders need to plan and strategise how they will race this event – will they do the same loop over and over, or perhaps attack the difficult loops worth more points first – who knows? Under this format it will not necessarily be the fastest rider that wins, but the most strategic rider/s of them all. This event caters for the avid racer as well as teams or families out to have a bit of fun. We have a dedicated loop for junior riders only (12 years and under).
Location & Facilities
EVENT BASE: Craters MTB Park – at the dirt carpark off Karapiti Road (The road to Craters of the Moon).
BRING YOUR TENT: You are most welcome to bring a tent for your team and set up for the day at the event base – we will have a designated area for this.
PARKING: Limited parking in the event village – teams bringing a tent for shelter during the event will have priority for parking. Parking marshals will direct you for parking along Karapiti Road. Riders can also drop off gear at the event base and park at the new Hub area by Kefi at the Hub cafe and ride/walk back up to the event base.
NO WATER ONSITE so please come prepared
FOOD AND BEVERAGES: Volcanic Coffee will be onsite for the day providing hot & cold drinks and limited food. Mr Whippy will also be onsite.
Registration from 9:00am – 9:30am – Event Base: Craters MTB Park – dirt carpark
Race Briefing: 9:45am (all riders must attend)
Race Times: START 10am – 2pm FINISH (all categories)
Prize-giving: ASAP after race finish
Categories and Pricing
- Solo Male ($35 TMTBC Member: $45 Non-member)
- Solo Female ($35 TMTBC Member: $45 Non-member)
- Teams (2-4 riders per team): Male, Female or Mixed ($80 TMTBC Member: $90 Non-member)
- Family (2-4 riders per team): Max 2 Adults – young riders must be 12 years and under. Family teams must have at least 1 Adult and 1 Junior rider ($60 TMTBC Member: $70 Non-member)
- School Teams (2-4 riders per team): Senior 13-17 yrs or Junior 8–12 yrs ($60 TMTBC Member: $70 Non-member) – If one rider in a team is a senior, then the whole team must enter in the senior category. All riders in a team do not have to be from the same school.
- DISCOUNTED ENTRY FEES FOR TMTBC MEMBERS – We will be checking entries and memberships tag numbers against our database. There is still confusion amongst riders over being a TMTBC Member and a Bike Taupo (BT) Member and this is costing the Club essential funding to run events such as The Gambler. BT Membership grants you access to Craters Mountain Bike Park. As BT own the concession to the Park, the only way to join the TMTBC is to ‘tick the box’ on the Bike Taupo Membership form (this is free to do!) and then a small portion of your BT fee goes to the TMTBC to help run events. You can tell if you are a BT member only, or a BT AND TMTBC Member by your membership tag – BT Members have blue tags on both sides. TMTBC Members have tags that are purple on one side and blue on the other.
- ALL MEMBERS in a team must be TMTBC Members to take advantage of the member rates.
- The entry form asks for your TMTBC member tag number so have it ready. Non-members simply enter N/A in the form.
- 18 years and over are considered Adults
- Age is as at 13/12/2020
Courses and Rules
2020 Maps (click on the link)
ALL COURSES START AND FINISH AT THE EVENT BASE CARPARK
LOOP 1 – WHITE ARROWS- 2 POINTS: TANKSTAND UP – COASTER
LOOP 2a – PINK ARROWS – 3 POINTS: Tourist Trap – Piker (Please note this Loop is only for Junior Teams and kids in Family Teams 12 yrs and under – NO ADULTS on this course – with the exception of a parent accompanying their child on their first loop, but you must stay out of the way of other riders and ensure you let them pass asap)
LOOP 2b – PINK ARROWS – 3 POINTS: Beagle Boys – Scraggs Return
LOOP 3 – BLUE ARROWS – 4 POINTS: Scraggs – SHFun full to Manager Corner – Scraggs Return
LOOP 4 – GREEN ARROWS – 6 POINTS: Tankstand up – Grinder – Buzzard – Missing Link – Tankstand Down – Walters Wiggles
Gambler Rules 2020 (click on the link). Note: subtle changes have been made to the handing over of bands between team members and for solo riders to improve on last years process. Teams will now tag their next rider and then hand in their bands. Solos riders will be placing their bands on stands visible for all other riders to see for the duration of the event.
Click on the link to view the results for the 2020 Gambler Event