TopGear Virtual Enduro – JUNE 2022
The Top Gear Cycles Virtual Enduro brings a new format of racing to Taupo.
Welcome to the Taupo Mountain Bike Club’s inaugural TopGear Virtual Enduro Event, proudly brought to you by Top Gear Cycles. Ryan and his team were excited when we started kicking around the idea of bringing an Enduro Style event to Taupo. However, COVID-19, lockdowns and red traffic light settings have meant that we have had to be creative in how we hold such an event and the Virtual Enduro was born.
The event will be held between 1 and 30 June 2022
Craters Mountain Bike Park.
The format is simple: four downhill stages, with the fastest times overall being the winner. The event is to be held throughout the month of June 2022 with all results posted on Strava. Riders can choose when they want to take on the challenge, noting there is no limit on the number of times a rider races a stage. Only their fastest result within the month for each stage will count.
The stages are:
- Tankstand Down – 1.52 km, -3.9%, Grade 3 single track (nothing too gnarly but a couple of steep sided gullies to keep you on your toes) – Strava Segment: Tankstand Down (VE1)
- Megalicious and Slalom to Connection (Queens Stage) – 3.04 km, – 3.6%, Grade 3 single track (lots of tables and fast flowy sections, is a bit soft in places and always a bit of debris to contend with) – Strava Segment: Megalicious Slalom (VE2)
- Debs Down – 1.82 km, `4.1%, Grade 3 single track (tight and fast, with some pig rooting that is best avoided) – Strava Segment: Debs Down (VE3)
- Buzzard to Coles – 1.41 km, -8.2%, Grade 3-5 single track (the steepest and most technical of the tracks on offer – only do the jumps if you are mad or can fly) – Strava Segment: Buzzard Coles (VE4)
Points will be issued to the first 5 male and female riders in each category for each segment, with the overall winners being those with the most points:
- 1st – 5 points
- 2nd – 4 points
- 3rd – 3 points
- 4th – 2 points
- 5th – 1 point
- Queens Stage – Double points (i.e. 1st – 10 points)
Registration happens in two parts:
First – Join Strava and the Taupo MTB Club Strava Page
Go to https://www.strava.com/
- Log in, or register if you don’t already have an account.
- Go to https://www.strava.com/clubs/1006118 and join the Taupo MTB Club
- Make sure that you set your activities so that everyone can see them.
- Go to Strava | My Privacy
Second – Pay entry fee
The entry fee is only 5$ and all entry fees are to be paid directly into the Taupo Mountain Bike Club A/C: 03 0430 0254000 00
- Particulars: vEnduro
- Code: [name on Strava] – So we can recognise you
- Reference: Category
Only participants who have registered on Strava and paid their entry fee will be eligible for prizes and titles.
- Junior (19 and under)
- Adult (20 to 34)
- Vet (35 to 54)
- Vet+ (>54)
(Note – These are based on Strava categories)
This is an unsupported event and the tracks will be open (so please be courteous of other track users). Please ensure that your trusty steed and your body are up to the task; you have the appropriate protective equipment (a helmet is a must!); and you ride to your own abilities. It is always a good idea to think of these things before launching yourself down the trails.
Some might find it beneficial to scope the track before they put down a run (which we recommend) as the tracks can change a lot between rides.
It is always a good idea to ride with a mate and let people know where you are going and what you will be doing. In the unfortunate event something does go horribly pear shaped, 111 is always available.