Junior Development Program
TAUPO MOUNTAIN BIKE CLUB - JUNIOR DEVELOPMENT SQUAD
September 2018 – April 2019
The Taupo Mountain Bike Club's objective is to help our kids better themselves as both bike riders and athletes and help them work towards achieving goals that they set in mountain biking.
The Junior Development Squad (JDS) has been extremely successful over the past four years and with each year has evolved and adapted to the changing MTB environment in order to give our junior club members the best support we can. Realising there was a need for events dedicated to the development of our Junior riders, the Taupo Mountain Bike Club have teamed up with the Tauranga and Tokoroa Clubs to form a new Mid-North Island Junior Series. The series comprises 3 races - 14th October - Cougar Park, Tokoroa ; 11th November - Summerhill, Tauranga; and 2nd December - Craters MTB Park, Taupo. The aim of the Junior Series is to provide;
- riders with an opportunity to use the series as preparation for the MTBNZ North Island Championships and MTBNZ National Championships events scheduled for January and February each season
- an opportunity for novice riders to participate in a low key race series and
- an avenue for riders to get into the sport of mountain biking at an earlier age as the series will cater for riders Year 7 through to Year 13 (11yrs to 18yrs).
The creation of the Series enables the TMTBC to reorganise the riding season and commence our Junior Squad in September through to April and take a break over the winter months. The Squads emphasis is on building skill development, ability and confidence as young riders, as well as introducing riders to the racing scene. The Club will provide a good grounding and introduction to racing and from there it will be up to each individual to pursue racing at a higher level of their own accord.
JDS Sept 2018 to April 2019 - OVERVIEW
The primary focus of the TMTBC JDS is to give Club riders aged 12 – 15 years an opportunity to:
1) broaden their MTB skills, ability and confidence in mountain biking; and
2) introduce riders to the XC racing environment in a safe and supportive manner. The focus in terms of racing will be to get the riders to a level where they are confident racing in the MTBNZ National Secondary School Championships in March.
· Be 12 – 15 years of age*;
· Be a current paid-up member of the TMTBC;
· Reside full-time in Taupo; and
· Be an active Club member participating in Club events.
All applicants must follow the same selection process.
All applicants are subject to the same attendance requirements for selection.
The maximum term for a rider in the Squad is 3 years.
* Applicants must turn 12 years old before 31st December 2018
· Applicants are required to attend a selection session on Saturday 8th September, 9:00am at Craters MTB Park;
· Riders will be selected based on both ability and attitude; and
· The Squad will be limited to a maximum of 10 riders.
The Squad commences in September and ends at the Waikato/BOP School Champs in mid April. Squad members are required to race in the following events: (provisional dates only)
· MTBNZ North Island Secondary Schools Champs (optional) – Tauranga 6th October
· Mid-North Island Junior Series Race 1 – Tokoroa 14th October
· Mid-North Island Junior Series Race 2 – Tauranga 11th November
· Cycle Challenge: Huka Teaser 35km – Taupo 24th November
· Mid-North Island Junior Series Race 3 – Taupo 2nd December
· MTBNZ North Island Champs (optional) – January (date to be advised)
· TMTBC Summer Series – 17th January to 21st March;
· MTBNZ National Secondary School Champs – March (date to be advised);
· Waikato/Bay of Plenty School Champs – 10th April (TBC).
· Annual Team trip in April/May (partially subsidised).
· Day trips may be organised during the season as part of the skills sessions.
REQUIREMENTS OF A SQUAD MEMBER
· Mountain Biking must be your primary sport;
· Riders are expected to have a very high level of attendance to all planned team rides and skills sessions;
· The Squad will have fortnightly team rides on Sundays mornings (1 – 2 hours duration). Attendance is essential;
· Skills sessions will be provided focussing on improving riders skills and ability and learning the basics of racing.
These will take place on Sundays and work in with the fortnightly team rides (dates to be advised);
· Squad members are expected to consistently work on improving their skills and fitness throughout the season;
· Riders are expected to attend and compete in all races on the agenda (except for injury or sickness);
· Riders need to acknowledge and appreciate the opportunity they have been given and help out the TMTBC by mentoring other riders, marshalling at events etc where possible;
· Riders will conduct themselves in a professional manner both on and off the bike - before, during and after events. A positive attitude, a healthy competitiveness and good sportsmanship is essential;
· If a Squad member finds that they can no longer commit to consistently ride and attend the fortnightly Squad sessions they will forfeit their position in the Squad to enable another TMTBC rider the opportunity to join the Team (except for injury or sickness); and
· If a Squad member does not attend 3 sessions during the season they will forfeit their position in the Squad to enable another TMTBC rider the opportunity to join the Team (except for injury or sickness).
· Each rider will be given a Team Kit to wear to races which may also be worn at Squad sessions;
· Riders must wear the Team Kit at events and on the podium;
· To preserve the longevity of the Kits, for general training rides members are required to wear their own gear; and
· The Kit remains the property of the TMTBC and is to be returned to the Club at the end of the Squad season.
· The JDS is a Club initiative run by volunteers and as we will be responsible for up to 10 children of varying abilities, we will need parents to take turns riding with the Squad on the fortnightly sessions;
· Other ways parents can help out is with registration/marshalling at Club events;
· Parents will need to ensure their children are able to ride in addition to the fortnightly Squad sessions to improve their fitness, skills and technique (the aim would be 2 rides per week minimum);
· Parents are responsible for providing transport for their child to events; and
· Parents are to help with the transport of and set up of the Club tent at events.
· A supportive team environment where riders have the opportunity to learn from each other;
· A Team Manager and Coach;
· TMTBC JDS Team Kit for XC events;
· Skills sessions to improve Squad members ability and confidence on the bike;
· Mentoring support from senior Club riders;
· Complimentary entry to Club run events (subject to attendance level); and
· Subsidised entry to selected events (subject to attendance level).
· $150 (payable to the TMTBC upon the naming of the Squad)
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE SQUAD
Fill in the separate application form on the Club website (typed or written and scanned is fine) and email it to Paula Pietersma: email@example.com by 5pm Wednesday 5th September 2018